Bacon-Wrapped Onion Bombs
Today's recipe is a fun cook "Bacon-Wrapped Onion Bombs". We'll stuff the onion bombs with ground chuck, jalapenos and other goodies, then wrap in bacon and smoke on the Pit Boss Pellet Grill. You can also make this on a smoker or grill. If using a grill, set it up for 2-zone cooking. Now let's get to it.
- 1-2 tbsp of your favorite Pork BBQ rub
- 8 strips bacon
- 1 lb ground beef (I used 80/20)
- 2/3 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 jalapeno chopped
- 4 large onions, preferably Vidalia
- ½ cup of your favorite BBQ sauce
- Optional, hot sauce to taste - I used Marshall's Haute Sauce Uncle Nearest Whiskey Smoked Ghost Hot Sauce
- 2/3 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- Mix ground beef, mushrooms, jalapeno and approximately 1-1.5 tbsp bbq rub together in a bowl.
- Core the centers from the onions being careful not to pierce any holes in the bottom or sides
- Stuff each onion with the ground beef mixture
- Sprinkle the remaining BBQ rub on the tops of the stuffed onions
- Wrap the sides of each onion with bacon (optional to secure with toothpicks)
- Smoke at 250 to 275 degrees F until the ground beef is 155 degrees F, then top with some BBQ sauce (and optionally hot sauce). Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Continue cooking until the internal temperature of the ground beef is 165 degrees F. For this cook it was approximately 2 hours or so.
- Remove from the smoker and let rest 10 minutes, then serve!
Watch the video for the detailed step-by-step instructions.