In today’s video recipe, I’ll show you how to grill octopus. We’ll start by simmering the octopus in a wine sauce to tenderize it, then move it to the grill and finish with Cap’n Jack Tropical Rum BBQ Sauce. This is our first time cooking octopus and eating octopus, so let’s get started!
- 1 octopus, cleaned
- 3 teaspoons of Gator Hammock Gator Done (separated 2 teaspoons and 1 teaspoon). This seasoning includes salt, garlic, black pepper, onion, paprika, assorted spices and peppers.
- 3 cups Scuppernong Honey Wine (mead). You can substitute white wine.
- 1/4 orange
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 cups water
- 1 tablespoon peppercorns
- Fat Bastard Cap'n Jack BBQ Sauce to taste. This sauce is full of island flavor and is made with pineapple, brown sugar, Mango, mango, rum, strawberries, pineapple and champagne vinegar.
- In a pot over medium-low heat, add the honey wine and peppercorns.
- Squeeze the juice from the ¼ orange into the pot and add the bay leaf.
- Add the Gator Done seasoning and octopus to the pot.
- Add the water. You may need to add more to nearly cover the octopus depending on the depth of your pot.
- Bring to a simmer for 1 hour.
- Let the octopus cool down in the pot for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Remove from the pot and slice in large pieces for the grill
- Heat the grill to medium high and grill 1 to 2 minutes on each side. The octopus is already cooked.
- Remove the octopus from the grill and dip in the Cap’N Jack BBQ Sauce. Place back on the grill for 1 minute on each side.
- Remove and serve.
For all of the recipe details, watch our step-by-step recipe video.