Sweet & Spicy Chicken Wings
In today’s recipe I’ll show you how to make Sweet and Spicy Chicken Wings in the Masterbuilt Smoker. The recipe only requires 5 ingredients that are probably already in your refrigerator and/or pantry.
- 12 chicken wings
- 1/4 cup spicy barbecue sauce such as Big Bob Gibson Habanero BBQ Sauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2-3 tablespoons American Style Chicken Rub
- 2-4 tablespoons apple juice
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (optional)
1. Mix the Chicken Rub and baking powder (if using) together. Place in a Ziploc bag with the chicken wings.
2. Shake well to get the seasoning all over the wings.
3. Place the wings on a tray and let sit in the refrigerator overnight.
4. The next day, set the Masterbuilt Smoker to 225 degrees. I’m using a combination of apple and peach wood chips. Use what you have available.
5. Smoke the wings for 90 minutes.
6. Turn over the wings and smoke for another 90 minutes.
7. While the wings are smoking, make the sauce by simmering the BBQ sauce, hone and apple juice in a pan until it starts to thicken, 5 to 10 minutes.
8. At the end of the second “90 minutes”, check the wings. I let mine continue cooking for another 30 minutes. Total cook time 2 hours to 2 hours 15 minutes. More importantly, the chicken needs to be 165 degrees internal temperature.
9. Remove from the smoker and toss in the sauce.