Sous Vide Coffee-Rubbed Ribeye Steak
Today we are cooking a ribeye steak using the Sous Vide method with the Anova Precision cooker. Our ribeye is 1.6 lb. We'll cook the steak to medium rare with the Sous Vide technique, then finish it with a hot sear in a cast iron skillet with butter.
- 1 Ribeye, 1.6 lb
- 2 TBSP Vegetable Oil
- 1 TBSP Butter (for the skillet)
- 2 TSP Butter for the Sous Vide cook (inside the vacuum sealed bag)
Ingredients for Coffee Rub (makes enough rub for several steaks)
- 1/4 Cup Coffee Grounds
- 4 TBSP Brown Sugar
- 2 TBSP Kosher Salt
- 1 TBSP Coriander
- 1 TBSP Cumin
- 1 TBSP Paprika
- 1 TBSP Oregano
- 1 TBSP Dried Ginger
- 1 TBSP Black Pepper
- 1 TBSP Garlic Powder
- Fill a pot with water and insert the Anova Precision Cooker
- Set the temperature to 129 degrees F (for medium rare) on the Anova Precision Cooker and set the cook to 1 hour.
- Salt and pepper the ribeye and place the steak in a bag with 1 tsp butter on each side, then vacuum seal it.
- 5 minutes before the steak is done cooking, heat the cast iron skillet to high heat. Caution: When adding the oil and butter from step 6, this can set off your smoke alarms. Open your windows and turn on any fans.
- When the steak is done cooking using the Sous Vide method, remove from the bag.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil and 1 tablespoon butter to the cast iron skillet. Sear each side or the ribeye in the cast iron skillet, turning every 20-30 seconds. Sear each side two times.
For the detailed, step-by-step recipe watch our Coffee-Rubbed Ribeye video.