Smoked Prime Rib (Standing Rib Roast) on the Pit Barrel Cooker
Today’s video recipe is for a Standing Rib Roast (a.k.a. Prime Rib) cooked on the Pit Barrel Cooker. This is a really easy recipe and a great way to cook a Prime Rib. You'll get a little smokey flavor which is always nice.
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 7 lb Standing Rib Roast
• Virginia Coastal Steak Rub to taste (or Kosher Salt)
• Cracked black pepper to taste
- Apply the olive oil to the standing rib roast as a binder for the seasoning.
- Apply a heavy layer of the Virginia Coastal Steak Rub and then cracked black pepper.
- Place 4 pieces of hickory wood in the pre-heated Pit Barrel Cooker.
- Place the standing rib roast on the Pit Barrel Cooker and cook to 125 to 128 degrees F for medium rare to medium (depending on your preference). For this cook, the time was approximately 3 hours.
- Remove the standing rib roast from the Pit Barrel Cooker and let rest for at least 15 minutes.
- Slice and serve.
Watch our Smoked Prime Rib video to see the detailed recipe instructions.