Smoked Peri-Peri Chicken
Today we are making smoked Piri Piri chicken on the Pit Barrel Cooker (aka peri peri chicken).
- Chicken cut in half
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Spray duck fat
1st Piri-Piri Recipe Ingredients
- 1 Lemon, Juiced
- 3 Serrano Peppers
- 3 Red Peppers
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 4 tsp smoked paprika
- 7 tbsp olive oil
- 1/8 cup chopped cilantro
2nd Alternate Piri-Piri Chicken Recipe
- ½ Lemon, Juice
- 3 TBSP African Rhino Peri-Peri Hot Sauce
- 5 TBSP olive oil
- Dry off chicken with paper towels.
- Spray with the duck fat (as a binder)
- Apply salt and pepper.
- Insert hooks in chicken and hang in a pre-heated Pit Barrel Cooker (temp approx 275 degrees). Add a chunk of your favorite wood.
- While the chicken is cooking take the remaining ingredients and make the Piri Piri Sauce.
- Smoke the chicken until the internal temperature reaches 158 degrees F.
- Glaze with the Piri-Piri sauce.
- Continue cooking the chicken until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- Remove from the smoker, rest for 10 minutes and serve.
Watch our video for the detailed step-by-step recipe instructions.