Smoked Oxtails with Red Wine Sauce
Today we are making Smoked Oxtails with red wine sauce on the Pit Barrel Cooker. This recipe starts by seasoning the oxtails, followed by smoking in the Pit Barrel and then finishing in a wine braise.
- 8 oxtails
- Runnin’ Wild Brisket Rub
- Vegetable spray as needed for a binder
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1, 14 oz can chopped tomatoes
- 3 cups red wine
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 5-6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1 diced shallot
- ½ teaspoon Fiori salt (or Kosher salt)
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1/3 cup tepid water
- Spray oxtails with vegetable oil.
- Season both sides with the Runnin’ Wild Brisket rub.
- Place oxtails on pre-lit Pit Barrel Cooker with 2 each cheery and oak wood chunks.
- Add the remaining ingredients (excluding the flour and tepid water) to a pot over medium high heat and bring to a simmer.
- Mix the flour into the tepid water to make a slurry.
- Mix the slurry into the braising liquid.
- Simmer the liquid for a least 30 minutes.
- Smoke the oxtails on the Pit Barrel for 3 hours until the color is to your preference.
- Add the oxtails to the braising liquid, cover and then pace back on the Pit Barrel Cooker for 2.5 hours or until the oxtails are starting to fall apart.
- Let rest for 10 minutes and then serve!
Watch our smoked oxtails video for the detailed recipe instuctions.