Smoked Mexican Spice-Rubbed Tri Tip with Lemon-Herb Sauce
Today we are making a Tri-Tip in the Masterbuilt Smoker with a lemon-herb sauce. To start, we’ll marinate the Tri-Tip with a Mexican-Spice rub, then smoke it in the Masterbuilt Electric Smoker. Next, we will apply mayonnaise and sear over high heat in a cast iron skillet.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 5 teaspoons black pepper
- 5 teaspoons dried mustard
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons chipotle powder
Lemon Herb Sauce Ingredients
- 5 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 5 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3-4 tablespoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
- 2 teaspoons ginger paste
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 1 Tri Tip Roast
- ½ stick Irish butter
- ¼ cup (approximately) mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- From the marinade ingredients, apply the olive oil to all sides of the tri-tip.
- Mix the rest of the marinade ingredients together, then sprinkle of all sides of the tri-tip.
- Place ingredients and tri-tip in a gallon Ziploc bag and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Set the Masterbuilt electric smoker to 250 degrees F and add some oak or mesquite wood chips.
- Place the tri-tip in the Masterbuilt smoker.
- While the tri-tip is cooking, place all of the lemon sauce ingredients in a blender and blend well. Place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Remove the tri-tip from the Masterbuilt smoker when the internal temperature reaches 110 degrees F. For this cook is was 34 minutes.
- Let the tri-tip rest for 10 minutes, then apply the mayonnaise to all sides of the tri-tip.
- In a cast iron skillet over high heat, melt the butter and add the Worcestershire sauce.
- Add the tri-tip and sear for approximately 2 minutes per side.
- Remove the tri-tip and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Slice the tri-tip, drizzle with the lemon-herb sauce and serve!