Smoked Chuck Roast with Horseradish Gravy, Smoked Potatoes, Onions & Gravy
Today’s recipe is for Smoked Chuck Roast in the Masterbuilt Smoker with Horseradish gravy. We are also smoking some potatoes and onions in the Masterbuilt.
Chuck Roast and Onions Ingredients
- 3 lb chuck roast
- Sucklebusters Hoochie Mama BBQ Rub or your favorite beef rub
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, separated
- 2 tablespoons Kosher salt
- 1/3 cup beef broth
- 4 – 6 baking potatoes
- 4 onions
- Pork Candy Maple Bourbon BBQ Rub (for onions)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- ½ teaspoon horseradish
- 1 tablespoon brown mustard
- Beef broth as needed, for this recipe it was about 1/3 cup
- ¾ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- Baby carrots
- Set Masterbuilt Electric Smoker to 225 degrees F and add some Mesquite wood chips.
- Season both sides of the roast with the Hoochie Mama Beef BBQ rub.
- Place the roast in the Masterbuilt Smoker with a foil pan under the roast to catch the drippings.
- Poke a few holes in each potato to allow more smoke to reach the potatoes. Coat the potatoes with olive oil and then salt the potatoes
- Cook the chuck roast for 2 hours, then place the potatoes in the smoker.
- Prepare the onions by applying the olive oil and then seasoning with your favorite pork BBQ rub.
- At the 2.5 hour mark, add the onions.
- At 3 hours the roast was at 155 degrees F and at 4 hours and 14 minutes the roast was 165 degrees F. At this point add the roast to the pan and add 1/3 – ½ cup beef broth. Cover tightly with foil and place back in the Masterbuilt Smoker until the roast is approximately 200-205 degrees or until you can insert a probe in the roast and it removes with minimal resistance. For this cook it was a little over 5 hours total cook time. Remove the roast, onions and potatoes from the Masterbuilt.
- Pour the roast drippings into a pan over medium to medium high heat. To make the gravy whisk in the flour slowly then add the remaining ingredients while whisking.
- If the gravy is too thick add some beef broth.
- Let the roast rest 10 minutes and serve!