Peruvian Gold Chicken on the Pit Barrel Cooker
In this recipe we are making Peruvian Gold Chicken on the Pit Barrel Cooker. This Pit Barrel chicken recipe couldn’t be easier. We’ll split the chicken and brine it overnight. The next day, apply some chicken seasoning, hang in the Pit Barrel and then finish with Tobago Keys Peruvian Gold Grilling Sauce.
- 1 gallon water
- 1 cup Kosher salt
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1-2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 whole chickens
- 2 tablespoons Runnin Wild Poultry Seasoning
- 6 oz Tobago Keys Peruvian Gold Grilling Sauce. This sauce is a great sauce for fish or chicken. Ingredients include Sugar, Yellow Mustard, Water, Apple Cider Vinegar, Light Brown Sugar, Tomato Paste, Worcestershire, Salt, Pepper, Herbs, and Spices.
- Mix the water, Kosher salt and brown sugar in a large pot until dissolved.
- Cut the chickens in half, pace in the brine and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day remove the chicken from the brine and pat dry with paper towels.
- Rub the olive oil over the chicken, then season with the Runnin’ Wild Poultry seasoning.
- Insert the Pit Barrel hooks under the breast bone and hang the chicken in a pre-heated Pit Barrel Cooker. I added 4 pieces of Mulberry Wood which provides a sweet, fruit-wood flavored smoke.
- Smoke the chicken in the Pit Barrel Cooker for 1 hour, then insert a temperature probe if you want to monitor the temperature. This chicken was at 148 degrees F in 1 hour
- When the chicken reaches 160 degrees F (for this cook it was 1 hour 37 minutes), remove from the Pit Barrel Cooker and glaze with the Tobago Keys Peruvian Gold Grilling Sauce.
- Hang the chicken back in the Pit Barrel Cooker until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F in the breast. For this cook, the total cook time was 2 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the Pit Barrel Cooker and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
For the step-by-step recipe instructions, watch our Peruvian Gold Chicken video.