Pecan-Smoked Firecracker Chicken
Today’s recipe is for Pecan-Smoked Firecracker Chicken. We’re making this on the Pit Barrel Cooker, but you can just as easily cook this on a charcoal or gas grill. This recipe is easy and a great way to make sweet and spicy chicken that is really moist.
- 4 chicken breasts (recipes); recipe can easily accommodate 6 pieces of chicken
- ½ gallon water
- ½ cup Kosher salt
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons (approximately) of Stubb’s Chicken Spice Rub
- ½ cup Minorcan Datil BBQ Sauce (or your favorite tangy BBQ sauce)
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 teaspoons Wild Turkey Habanero Hot Sauce (or your favorite hot sauce)
- 5 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- Make a brine by mixing the water, Kosher salt and brown sugar together in a pot or gallon Ziploc bag until the salt and sugar are dissolved.
- Place the chicken in the brine and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- The next day, remove the chicken from the brine and pat dry with paper towels to remove any excess salt.
- Season the chicken with the Stubb’s Chicken Spice Rub and place on the pre-heated Pit Barrel Cooker.
- To make the Firecracker sauce, mix the Minorcan Datil BBQ Sauce, honey Wild Turkey Habanero Hot Sauce and Apple Cider Vinegar together.
- When the chicken breasts reach 150 degrees F (30 minutes for this cook), apply a layer of the Firecracker sauce.
- After approximately 7 minutes apply another layer of the Firecracker sauce.
- Continuing applying the sauce every 5-7 minutes until the chicken breasts have an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
For the step-by-step recipe, watch our Firecracker Chicken video.