Pecan-Smoked Chicken with Blackberry-Jalapeno Glaze
Today we're making a Pecan-Smoked Chicken recipe on the Pit Barrel Cooker with Blackberry-Jalapeno Glaze.
This is an easy and delicious chicken recipe where we'll start by injecting the chicken with Meat Church Chicken Injection. Next, apply a later of Meat Church Holy Gospel BBQ Rub and then smoke in the Pit Barrel over apple wood for approximately 2.5 - 3 hours. The final step is finishing with a Blackberry-Jalapeno BBQ glaze.
- 6 chickens, cut in half
- Meat Church Holy Gospel BBQ Rub to taste (approximately 4-5 oz), see below for more info
- 3/4 cup Meat Church T-Bird's Chicken Injection, see below for more info
- 5 cup water
- 5 cup apple cider, apple juice or water
- 2/3 bottle Fat Bastard Bear Bite Blackberry-Jalapeno BBQ Sauce (see below for links to make your own blackberry BBQ sauce)
- 6 teaspoons Tsang’s oil (or olive oil)
- Mix the chicken injection, water and apple cider in a bowl until the chicken injection powder is dissolved.
- Rinse and pat dry the chicken.
- Inject the chicken with the chicken injection.
- Apply the oil to both sides of the chicken to use as a binder.
- Sprinkle the Meat Church Holy Gospel BBQ rub on both sides of the chicken.
- Hang the chicken in a pre-heated Pit Barrel Cooker with 6 chunks of pecan wood.
- Smoke the chicken until it reaches 150 degrees F. Time required to reach 150 was 1 hour 45 minutes.
- Apply the Fat Bastard Bear Bite ackberry-jalapeno BBQ sauce and continue smoking until the thick part of the breasts reaches 165 degrees F. Total cook time as 3 hours.
- Remove from the smoke and let rest for 10 minutes.
See all of the step-by-step details in our Pecan-Smoked Chicken video.