Patron XO Café (Coffee Liqueur with Tequila) Chicken Wings
Today, I’m making some Patron XO Café Coffee Liqueur with Tequila Chicken Wings. This is a very easy recipe that you can make on a Kamado Grill, Weber Kettle, Gas Grill or smoker.
The flavor profile for these wings is really unique and the spicy coffee liqueur sauce can be used with chicken, pork or shrimp. Now, who doesn’t like Coffee Liqueur and Tequila?
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup spicy barbecue sauce. I’m using Big Bob Gibson Habanero Red
- ½ cup Patron XO Cafe Liqueur
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 15 chicken wings
- Optional for spicy wings: Oakridge BBQ Habanero Death Dust or other dried hot peppers (don’t use a vinegar-based hot sauce as it will affect the overall flavor profile for this recipe).
- Set up the grill for indirect heat at 230 degrees. Add 3 to 4 chunks of wood for smoke flavor. I used persimmon. If you are using a Weber Kettle or gas grill, set it up for 2-zone heating. I am using the Gourmet Guru Grill and start off by using the plate setter.
- Apply the optional Habanero Death Dust and place the wings on the grill over indirect heat for 2 hours, turning after 1 hour.
- Over medium heat in a sauce pan, add the orange juice and BBQ sauce. Mix well, then add the dry ingredients and honey.
- Lastly, add the Patron XO and simmer the sauce 5 to 7 minutes, just to get everything blended well.
- Turn off the heat and add the butter. Stir well.
- When the wings are done, move to high heat and grill 1-2 minutes per side. This will make the wings a little crispy. Watch the wings closely, so they do not burn.
- Remove the wings from the grill and toss in the sauce.
For all of the step-by-step instructions, wath our Patron XO Café Chicken Wings video.