Millionaire's Bacon - Maple Bourbon Pig Candy
Today, we’re making Millionaire's Bacon if you live in the San Francisco, California area or if you are from the south, it's what we've called Pig Candy for years. Today we are making a kicked-up version - Maple Bourbon Pig Candy on the grill.
Pig Candy is bacon cooked on the grill or a smoker with some sweetness...and we all know bacon makes everything better! To spice up this Pig Candy, we will add a little of the world’s hottest pepper – the Carolina Reaper.
- 1 lb bacon
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 heaping tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp dried and ground Carolina Reaper peppers. If you haven't grown your own, then purchase dried Carolina Reaper pods and crush them.
- 1/4 cup Kentucky Maple Bourbon
- Put the brown sugar, cinnamon and dried pepper in a bowl and mix well.
- Using a baking pan with a wire rack, place the bacon strips on the rack. The rack allows air to circulate under the bacon for uniform cooking.
- Using a brush, apply a thin layer of bourbon on the bacon.
- Using your fingers, put the brown sugar on each slice of bacon and the smooth evenly over each slice. Turn the bacon over and repeat.
- Set up your grill for 2-zone, indirect heating and heat to 350 degrees F. I also like to add some cherry wood to the hot side of the grill for a little smoke flavor.
- Place the bacon on the indirect side of the grill, shut the lid and let smoke for approximately 30 minutes or until golden brown on the top of the bacon.
- Turn over each slice, close the grill lid and let cook for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from the grill and let cool.
For the detailed, step-by-step instructions watch our Maple Bourbon Pig Candy video.