How to Make Beer Can Cabbage
In today’s recipe, I’ll show you how to make Beer Can Cabbage on the Pit Barrel Cooker. You can also make this recipe using a Kamado, kettle of gas grill.
The beer will keep the cabbage moist and we’ll slather the cabbage during the smoking process to add a sweet, spicy and smoky flavor.
- Bring ½ can of beer up to room temperature.
- Core a hole in the bottom of the cabbage large enough to fit the beer can. I start with a knife to cut out a piece. Then, use a tablespoon to scoop out pieces of cabbage to refine the hole size.
- Place the cabbage down on the beer can. Remember to only use ½ can.
- Light the Pit Barrel Cooker.
- Place the cabbage on the beer can and then place the cabbage/beer can combination on the Pit Barrel Cooker grate and add the cover.
- Cook for 1 hour.
- Glaze the cabbage with the BBQ Sauce. Use CAUTION as the beer and beer can is extremely hot.
- Every 20 to 30 minutes glaze with BBQ Sauce for the next 1.5 hours.
- Remove from the Pit Barrel Cooker and let rest 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Use CAUTION as the beer can may still be hot and remove the cabbage from the beer can.
- Chop the cabbage.
- You can server as a sandwich using the cabbage as the main course along with your favorite condiments or serve on top a Pork Chop!
Watch our Beer Can Cabbage video for the step-by-step instructions.