Guinness Beer-Brined Corned Beef Brisket
Today’s recipe is for Guinness Beer-Brined Corned Beef Brisket. St. Patty’s day is right around the corner and of course that holiday screams “corned beef”. This recipe is a little different that many others you may find as we are using Guinness Stout beer as part of the brine. For this cook, we are using the Gourmet Guru Kamado grill, but you can make this on a kettle grill, gas grill or smoker.
- 2 quarts ice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 8 – 2 oz pickling spice
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 bottles (36 oz) Guinness Stout beer
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon curing salt per 5 lbs of brisket. I used Bolner’s Fiesta brand. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for the brand you use.
Brisket & Other Ingrdients
- 6-7 lb brisket flat
- Brisket rub as needed; I used Runnin’ Wild brisket rub.
- 2 oz apple juice
- Recipe Instructions
- Mix all the brine ingredients in a large pot. Heat over medium heat until the sugar and salt are dissolved.
- Remove from the brine from the heat and add the ice to the mixture.
- After the mixture is cool add the brisket, cover and place in the refrigerator.
- Brine the brisket for 4 to 7 days. Stir the brine once a day and turn the brisket.
- On the day of the cook, remove the brisket from the brine. Run under cold water to remove any excess salt and then dry with paper towels.
- Season the brisket with the Runnin’ Wild brisket rub.
- Cook the brisket over indirect heat. Heat the Gourmet Guru Grill to 225 degrees F. Add some mesquite chunks. Add the plate setter. If you are using a kettle grill, set it up for 2 zone and place the brisket on the indirect heating side.
- When the brisket reaches 165 to 170 degrees F, remove from the Gourmet Guru Grill. Place in foil with 2 ounces of apple juice. Seal the foil around the brisket.
- Place the brisket back on the grill and continue cooking until it reaches 203 degrees F.
- Let rest for 30 minutes and then slice.
All of the details are described incuding how to brine, smoke and slice the brisket in our video.