Grilled Sausage Mix with Peppers, Onions & Tomatoes
In today’s recipe we are making an assortment of sausages on the Pit Barrel Cooker. We’ve got Kielbasa sausage, country sausage, Irish Banger sausages along with Cheese & Garlic Brats. We will serve this up with some peppers, onion and tomatoes also prepared on the Pit Barrel.
Use your favorite sausages and give this a try for tailgating or your next game day party. The mixed sausage assortment is a huge step up from hot dogs. This assortment of sausages makes for a great display and offers something for everyone.
- Kielbasa sausages
- Bradley’s Country Store sausages
- Irish Banger sausages
- Cheese & Garlic Brats
- Mild peppers, assorted colors
- 1/2 – ¾ red onion
- 5-6 red potatoes cut in half
- 2 – 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Red and yellow tomatoes, quartered
- 1 – 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- Spicy Mustard; I used a 50/50 mixture of Lottie's Traditional Barbados Hot Sauce with honey
Note: For this cook, the Pit Barrel Cooker ran around 250 degrees F and the potato skewers should have been started about 20 to 30 minutes earlier (to get “softer” potatoes).
- Place potatoes and onion on skewers, alternating. If using wood skewers be sure to soak in water for 1 hour in advance.
- Place sausage dogs on double skewers. Using two skewers prevents the sausages from turning and makes flipping the sausages over on the grill really easy.
- Place tomatoes on skewers, alternating red and yellow. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning.
- Place mild peppers and onion on skewers, alternating.
- Drizzle a thin layer of olive oil on the potato/onion and pepper/onion skewers, then salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the sausage skewers along with the potato/onion skewers on a pre-heated Pit Barrel Cooker and cook for 15 minutes. Do not put the tomatoes on the skewers on the cooker at this time.
- Turn over all the skewers, then add the tomato and pepper/onion skewers to the Pit Barrel.
- Cook another 10 - 15 minutes. Internal temperature of sausages should be a minimum of 165 degrees F. I cooked this to 173 degrees F and they turned out great.
- Serve with your favorite condiments.
For the step-by-step recipe instructions watch our Grilled Sausage Mix video.