In today’s recipe we are making Golden Monkey beer and cane syrup glazed Mayport shrimp. The original version of this recipe was in Chile Pepper Magazine and used Abita Amber beer. We’ve made a few changes to the original recipe and used Slap Ya’ Mama Hot Cajun Seasoning to give this a bit of a kick. Also, we changed up the beer by swapping out the Abita with a Belgian Tripel from Victory – the infamous Golden Monkey. WARNING: Use caution when sipping on the Monkey….with 9.5% ABV it packs a punch!
This is one delicious shrimp recipe, so let's get started.
• ½ lb fresh Florida Mayport shrimp, deveined, peeled, heads removed, tails on
• 2 teaspoons Slap Ya’ Mama Hot Cajun Seasoning
• 8 tablespoons butter, divided
• 2 teaspoons minced garlic
• 1 green onion, finely chopped
• 12 oz Golden Monkey Beer
• ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
• 2 tablespoons cane syrup
• ½ teaspoon lemon zes
• ½ lemon, cut into wedges
• 2 teaspoons Italian Herb Paste (you can substitute fresh thyme and rosemary, per the original recipe)
• 1-2 cups cooked rice
1. Place a cast iron skillet on medium heat and melt 4 tablespoons of the butter.
2. Add the green, onion, garlic and shrimp. Cook for about 2 minutes.
3. Add the Italian herb paste and stir in.
4. Mix in the beer, Worcestershire sauce and Slap Ya’ Mama seasoning.
5. Turn the heat off and stir in the cane syrup and remaining 4 tablespoons of butter.
6. Serve over the cooked rice.
For all of the recipe details, watch our video.
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Discounts & Monthly Recipes
Join the Armadillo Pepper community and get monthly recipes, exclusive customer discounts & new product information!