Cocoa-Coffee Rubbed Smoked Ribeye
Quite simply put, today's recipe is for an incredible steak! We're making a cocoa-coffee rubbed smoked Ribeye in the Masterbuilt Electric Smoker. The, we will finish it at high heat in a cast iron skillet to get the sought after Maillard reaction.
Now, if you've never used cocoa with steaks, I hope you'll pause and give it a try. I promise your steak will not taste like chocolate!
- 1 1.5 lb or larger NY Strip Steak
- 1 tsp finely ground coffee
- 1 tsp Chipotle powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp dried garlic
- 2 tbsp duck fat (duck fat withstands high heat)
- Heat the Masterbuilt Electric Smoker (or your favorite smoker) to 275 degrees F. I used pecan wood for a nice mild smoke flavor.
- Cook to 125 degrees F which for this cook took 45 minutes. Your cook time may take less.
- Add the duck fat to the skillet on high.
- Once the skillet is heated, add the steak and cook 1 minute to 1 minute 30 seconds, flip and cook for another 1-1:30 minutes.
- Remove the steak from the heat and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Slice and serve!
For the step-by-step instructions for pulling this easy steak recipe together, watch our video.