Rum & Coke Glazed Ham in the Big Easy Oil-Less Fryer
In today’s recipe we’re making a Ham in the Big Easy Oil-Less Fryer. We will start by injecting the ham with brown sugar, rum and butter then we will glaze the ham with Coca-Cola and brown sugar.
- 1/2 cup of rum
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar (dark or light)
- 5 lb sticks butter
- 1/3 cup brown mustard
- 22 oz Coca-Cola
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 8 lb Kentucky Legend Hickory Smoked Ham
- Pork Candy Sweet Hickory Rub (or your favorite ham seasoning)
- Pour the rum in a sauce pan, then turn the heat on low. Use CAUTION as rum is flammable.
- Add the brown sugar and heat until the sugar is fully dissolved and butter is melted. Do not bring to a boil or simmer.
- Remove from the heat and let cool until safe to handle.
- Inject the ham at 1 to 2” intervals. When you inject the rum/butter/sugar and it starts coming out other places in the ham then you are done.
- Rub the remaining injection on the outside of the ham to use as a binder for the seasoning.
- Season the ham with your favorite rub. You may want to use a low sugar rub or the ham will darken in the Big Easy Oil-Less Fryer. I used Pork Candy Sweet Hickory which does have brown sugar and cane juice, but I applied a very light layer.
- Preheat the Big Easy Oil-Less Fryer for 15 minutes on high heat.
- Place the ham in the Big Easy Oil-Less Fryer.
- When the ham reaches 125 degrees F, start the glaze by putting all the glaze ingredients in a medium sauce pan over medium heat.
- Bring the glaze to a boil, then simmer until reduced by about one half (20 – 30 minutes).
- When the ham reaches 135 degrees, remove the basket and apply the glaze. Use CAUTION as the basket is hot. Glaze the ham while it is in the basket (no need to remove).
- Glaze again in 15 to 20 minutes and continue cooking until the ham reaches an internal temperature of 140 degrees F.
- Remove the basket from the Big Easy Oil-Less Fryer and let cool until safe to handle (10 – 20 minutes).
- Remove the ham from the basket and serve!
Watch our video for the detailed recipe instructions.