Cajun Chicken Injected with Creole Butter
In today's recipe, I’ll show you how to smoke a whole Cajun Chicken in the Masterbuilt Electric Smoker.
We will start by injecting the chicken with Cajun Injector Creole Butter. This will help keep the chicken moist during smoking and also provide flavor. I’ll season the outside of the chicken with Slap Ya’ Mama Cajun seasoning which will add another layer of wonderful flavor.
- 1 gallon water
- 1 cup Kosher salt
- ½ cup brown sugar
- Cajun Injector Creole Butter
- 2 – 4 tablespoons Slap Ya’ Mama Cajun seasoning (depending on how spicy you like your chicken), more info here: https://www.armadillopepper.com/products/slap-ya-mama-cajun-seasoning-original
- 1 whole chicken
- Mix brine ingredients in a large pot until the sugar and salt are dissolved.
- Place the chicken in the brine and put in the refrigerator overnight.
- Remove the chicken from the brine and pat dry with paper towels.
- Inject the chicken with the Cajun Injector Creole Butter. Space the injections about 2 inches apart.
- Season the chicken with Slap Ya’ Mama Cajun Seasoning.
- Heat the Masterbuilt Smoker to 275 degrees F.
- Place wood chips in the Masterbuilt. I used a combination of oak and cherry wood chips.
- Cook the chicken in the Masterbuilt until it reaches a minimum of 165 degrees F. You can go up to 175 degrees F. Cooking to a higher temperature will help “crisp-up” the chicken skin.
- For this chicken it was 164 degrees F at 1 hour and 22 minutes. At this point you can brush a little of the Creole butter on the outside of the chicken.
- Cook until the chicken reaches 170 degrees, then remove from the Masterbuilt Electric Smoker and let rest for 10 minutes. Total cook time for this chicken was almost 2 hours.
For the step-by-step recipe, watch our video