Brisket Burnt Ends and Smoked Brisket
In today’s recipe we are making brisket burnt ends and smoked brisket in the Pit Barrel Cooker. We will start with a whole packer brisket, trim it up, then start the cook. We'll use the point for brisket burnt ends and the flat for some nice brisket slices.
- 13.5 lb brisket
- 1/3 cup Meat Church Holy Cow Brisket Injection
- Virginia Gentlemen BBQ Sauce to taste (or your favorite BBQ sauce)
- Honey to taste
- Trim the brisket to remove any excess fat.
- Mix the Holy Cow brisket injection an beef broth until the powder is fully dissolved.
- Inject the brisket with the injection mixture, spacing about 1 inch apart.
- Place the brisket in a preheated Pit Barrel Cooker with some of your favorite wood chunks. Today my Pit Barrel Cooker temperature started at 220 degrees F (but, worked its way up to 310 during the cook).
- Cook the brisket until the outside color (bark) is where you like it. This took 3.5 hours today to get to 175 degrees (quite quick).
- Remove the Brisket from the Pit Barrel Cooker and separate the point from the flat.
- Double wrap the flat in foil tightly and add about ¼ liquid before sealing the foil.
- Slice the point into 1.5 to 2” squares. Place the brisket cubes in a foil pan and add 1/3 cup beef broth or injection. Seal with foil.
- Place the brisket flat and cut-up brisket point back on the Pit Barrel Cooker and cook until the brisket can be probed with a thermometer or toothpick until it easily goes in and comes out with minimal resistance. For this cook, it was only 2 more hours and the flat temperature was 209 degrees F.
- Uncover the cut up burnt ends. Drizzle with the BBQ sauce and honey. Take a brush and make sure all cubes are coated, then place back on the Pit Barrel cooker for 15 to 20 minutes to let the sauce and honey set on the burnt ends. Total cook time for burnt ends was 6 hours (short cook for brisket).
- Slice up the flat. Serve your brisket slices and burnt ends.
For the detailed recipe instructions, watch our Smoked Brisket and Burnt Ends video.