Beer-Brined Smoked Catfish
Today we are making beer-brined smoked catfish in the Masterbuilt Electric Smoker. This is an easy catfish cook an only takes a little over an hour. Of course this recipe works in any electric smoker, kettle grill or other smoker.
Catfish Brine Ingredients
- 12 oz can Golden Monkey Beer
- 1/8 cup Kosher salt
- 1 orange or lemon
- 1 teaspoon Colon Cleaner mustard-based hot sauce (or yellow mustard)
- Water as needed (1 to 2 cups)
- 3 whole catfish cleaned an de-headed
- Runnin’ Wild Seafood Seasoning to taste
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
Spicy Cilantro-Orange Dipping Sauce Ingredients
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- Top of 1 green onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon Angry Goat orange hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons orange juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- To make the brine, mix the beer, salt and juice from the orange or lemon until the salt is dissolved.
- Add the mustard or mustard-base Colon Cleaner hot sauce to the brine mixture.
- Place the catfish and brine in a gallon zip loc bag. Add water until covered. Seal the bag place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour remove the catfish from the brine and discard the brine.
- Pat the catfish dry with paper towels.
- Rub the olive oil over all sides of the catfish.
- Season the catfish with the Runnin Wild Seafood Seasoning.
- Place in a pre-heated Masterbuilt Electric Smoker at 265 degrees F with orange wood chips.
- While the catfish is cooking, mix all of the dipping sauce ingredients together in a bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Smoke until the catfish reaches 145 degrees. For this cook it took 1 hour and 5 minutes.
- Remove the catfish from the smoker and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Serve the catfish with the dipping sauce.
For the detailed recipe instructions, watch our Smoked Catfish video.