Beer Battered Fish - Fried Redfish and Trout
One of my favorite places to get some relax time is Mosquito Lagoon in Florida. Today we’ve making some beer-battered redfish and spotted trout that we caught on a trip to Mosquito Lagoon. Along with this cook we are making some homemade tarter sauce, cocktail sauce, hush puppies and fried potatoes.
If you ever get a chance to visit, you've got to look up Captain Brian Clancy at Mosquito Lagoon Fish Camp and Charters. He doesn't pay me to say that, and it is simply a testament to how much fun we had with him while fishing.
Captain Clancy turned us on to some really nice spotted trout and we also caught a few redfish. I took my buddy Dallas who hadn't been fishing in 15 years and he had a blast. I had more fun watching him than catching my own fish.
We caught and released a lot of fish, but did keeep a few for dinner, so let's get into today's cook and I will show you my favorite fried fish recipe!
Beer-Battered Fish Ingredients
- Fresh redfish and trout filets
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup corn meal
- ½ cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried and ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 12 oz cold beer
- 2 tablespoons Riff Lord Hot Sauce (or your favorite Hot Sauce)
Hush Puppy Ingredients
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp Dill weed
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 tsp minced Garlic
- 3 tbsp Mayonnaise
- 1 lime
Mild Cocktail Sauce
- ½ cup Ketchup
- 1 tbsp horseradish
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- OPTIONAL: To spice it up, add 1 tsp chili sauce, ½ tsp red pepper flakes, double Worcestershire sauce, and triple the horseradish
- For the hushpuppies, mix all the ingredients together in a bowl, then using a teaspoon spoon drop balls of batter into grease preheated to 350 degrees F.
- Cook the hushpuppies until golden brown on all sides.
- For the fish, simply whisk all of the beer-battered fish ingredients together in a large dish.
- After the fish ingredients are mixed together, dredge the fish filets and deep fry in oil heated to 350 degrees F until the filets turn a beautiful red color.
- While the fish is cooking, simply mix the tartar sauce and cocktail sauce ingredients together.
Check out our video to see some great fishing and the details of the recipe.