Angry Armadillo Eggs
Today we've got a smoked Armadillo Eggs recipe on the Pit Barrel Cooker.
We'll start by coring the jalapenos, stuffing with cheese, wrapping in a sausage blend and then smoking in the Pit Barrel.
The final step will be glazing our Armadillo Eggs with Desert Rat BBQ Sauce.
- 12-15 Jalapeno peppers
- 8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 2/3 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- 1 tsp dried ghost peppers (optional)
- 3 tsp minced, fresh parsley
- 1.5 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 green onions minced
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- ½ pound breakfast sausage
- 1 pound ground Chorizo
Meat Church Honey Hog BBQ Rub to taste (or your favorite pork BBQ rub);
Fat Bastard Desert Rat BBQ Sauce, approximately 6 oz
- Core the centers out of the jalapenos.
- Mix the cream cheese and smoked Gruyere cheese together in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the sausage/Chorizo, parsley, garlic, Italian seasoning, onions and dried Ghost peppers.
- Stuff each jalapeno with the cheese mixture.
- Totally cover all sides of each jalapeno with the sausage mixture.
- Sprinkle the Honey Hog BBQ rub on each jalapeno.
- Place the jalapenos on a pre-heated Pit Barrel Cooker with 6 cheery wood chunks. Smoke for approximately 1 hour.
- Apply the Desert Rat BBQ sauce to the top and sides. Cook 10-15 minutes.
- Turn over the jalapenos and apply the Desert Rat BBQ sauce again. Cook for another 10 minutes or until the sausage has an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Remove from the Pit Barrel, let rest for 10 minutes and serve!
For the detailed step-by-step recipe instructions, watch our How to Make Angry Armadillo Eggs video.